10th MVC Members’ Meeting “Remanufacturing and Reuse: Case Studies and its Challenges”
Presentations will be given regarding business cases in remanufacturing and reuse of products and parts by forerunner firms to make a platform to discuss the issues.
The topic deals with remanufacturing and reuse of construction machinery and smartphones.
Globally, the remanufacturing market is said to be the largest in the aircraft industry, while it is presumed to be the largest among manufacturers of construction and mining machinery or those of copiers in Japan. Today’s presentations will focus on the remanufacturing process implemented mainly in Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd. which is one of the oldest remanufacturers in Japan.
Also, reusing/remanufacturing of smartphones is seen as a promising market expected to expand in future. As the market has been expanding steadily overseas, so does a possibility will drastically increase for a similar market to expand also in Japan making use of the momentum with the newly revised rules banning carriers from offering plans that cover both the price of a mobile phone and connection fees in one package. Could this pioneering trend of remanufacturing smartphones lead to further remanufacturing of consumer products? Experiences will be presented from the two companies spearheading the efforts.
Coordinator: Dr Mitsutaka Matsumoto, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
(1) Current status of remanufacturing, Dr Mitsutaka Matsumoto, National Institute of Advanced Industrial Science and Technology (AIST), Tsukuba, Ibaraki, Japan
(2) Activities by a construction machinery manufacturer contributing to sustainable development goals (SDGs), Mr Atsushi Tamane, Division Head, Sustainability Promotion Division, Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd.
(3) Remanufacturing of construction machinery parts, Mr Michio Sugawara, Head, Recovery Center, Parts Division, Hitachi Construction Machinery Co., Ltd.
(4) Reuse/Remanufacturing of smartphone 1., Mr Hamaichi Awazu, President, Keitai Ichiba
(5) Reuse/Remanufacturing of smartphone 2., Atsunori Ikuta, Representative, RE BIRTH,Inc., Kawasaki, Japan
(6) General Discussion